Friday, April 22, 2016

Violins got me thinking...

My mother used to give my children 100€ each for Christmas and birthdays. My older children have used their money in the years, they were older and bought things, but my youngest is quite a bit younger and just saved her money. She has now played the violin for a year and a half, with a borrowed violin and yesterday we went to How Violins and put ourselves in the hands of the expert help there. The result was the kid's empty bank account and a happy violin owner.


As soon as we walked in Minerva was given a violin to try... she then tried many others, but the very first one turned out to be 'the one'... almost as if they recognised each other immediately. Then she tried three different bows, one of which was immediately discarded. =) The choice of the chin-rest was the easiest... as soon as the right one under her chin she let out a 'YES'. 


It was the first one she tried, and the one to return to.



The violin is made in China, the bow is German, and the previous owner changed it into a 'better' one. Minerva has played for 1,5 years and I'm sure these two will play for quite a while together.

As always, How Violins was beautiful, the service and expertise excellent!

What it all got me thinking is that my mother ahs been gone for three years, and SO much has happened in these years, and of one thing I am sure: She would be SO proud of what my children have done and become. 
Aurora has graduated from University in Italy and is studying in university in Finland now... she has grown into a woman, from the rebellious young kid she was.
Luca has gone on in his studies, has a strong relationship with his significant other and works on that too, not taking it for granted.
Matteo has been studying psychology for almost three years and is doing really well, taking care of all the difficulties of living all alone in Rome too, which is not easy. 
And Minerva... she has moved to Finland, changing language and school system and everything, and has found her place. She has also started playing the violin, which what started all these thoughts. 
I'm glad she spent my mothers gift money on a violin. My mother would have bought her the violin if she were alive, and would have taken her to concerts all the time too. Like she did, whenever she could, with all the kids. 

I miss her SO much.


No comments: